The day is celebrated every 3rd December and was set aside in 1992 by the United Nations at the conclusion of the United Nations Decade of Disabled Persons (1983-1992). The day was proposed to solicit for integration of people who have different needs. These people have aspirations, dreams and desires just like everybody else. They need to be loved and respected as well as to be given an opportunity to develop their potential like everyone else.
This day is dedicated to recognition of the disabled as members of our society who should not be discriminated against. The celebration call for provision of equal opportunities to the disabled and enactment of measures to improve their well being.
- Start a special class to address needs of the disabled such as learning the sign language, the Braille, blind’s walking stick .
- Organize common activities for the normal and disabled students in the school (be innovative)
- Visit a center for the disabled in the surrounding community. Assist in taking care of the disabled.
- Initiate programmes to promote the living standards of the disabled
- Plan a tour to the museum, national park or any outdoor activity with the disabled people and enjoy the beauty of the natural environment together.
- Write an essay or summary notes on how you celebrated the international day for people with disabilities. Publicize your success on this blog.
For further Information, contact:
Kenya Institute for Special Education