You can download this E-book for free using your Android phone or Tablet on this link. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=captain.ayub.esd.AOVOOCCJHLBFBQMN. This digital material has undergone rigorous vetting by the Kenya Institute of Curriculum Development (KICD) and was approved on 1st December 2015 to be used in the Kenyan education system.
The world leaders adopted the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) on 25th September 2015. Goal 4 stipulates that all efforts should be made to “ensure inclusive and equitable quality education and promote lifelong learning opportunities.” Target 7 of Goal 4 states that “By 2030, ensure that all learners acquire the knowledge and skills needed to promote sustainable development, including, among others, through education for sustainable development and sustainable lifestyles, human rights, gender equality, promotion of a culture of peace and non-violence, global citizenship and appreciation of cultural diversity and of culture’s contribution to sustainable development”
The Education for Sustainable Development Explained is a resource material meant for educators both at formal and non formal level. This ESD Explained is meant to clarify key issues in the ESD concept and guide educators on how to go about the process of implementing ESD. However, more emphasis is placed on how educators could integrate ESD in diverse subject areas. The ESD Explained postulates that there is need to relook at the processes and expected outcomes of educational engagements to ensure reorientation to sustainable development.
This ESD Explained presents ESD arguments in a simplified manner and is user friendly. The ESD Explained digital content has covered several components such as
* The concept of sustainable development
* The concept of ESD, major thrusts of ESD and stakeholders targetted
* ESD implementation strategies
* United Nations Decade of Education for Sustainable Development
* Sustainable Development Goals
* Global Action Programme for ESD implementation
* Kenya’s progress in implementing ESD and UNDESD
* Actionable areas in implementation of ESD
* How to facilitate ESD within eleven (11) subject areas
* How to facilitate ESD using informal forums such as institutional clubs and special days
In each area, efforts have been made to use appropriate photos and other illustrations.